ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router Features and Specifications
This post consists of the announcement made by ASUS (on 2014/09/01) for the ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router as being the world's first 4x4 802.11ac WiFi router with multi-user MIMO and universal beamforming boasts 2334Mbits/s combined speeds and unrivaled coverage. This is followed by some of the features and specifications of the router.
ASUS Announces RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router
World’s first 4x4 802.11ac Wi-Fi router with multi-user MIMO and universal beamforming boasts 2334Mbit/s combined speeds and unrivaled coverage
Advanced wireless technology for faster-than-wired speedsThe AC2400-class RT-AC87U has blistering 1734Mbit/s 802.11ac speeds on the 5GHz frequency band — faster than wired Gigabit Ethernet — and uses Broadcom® TurboQAM™ to boost 802.11n 2.4GHz performance from 450Mbit/s to 600Mbit/s with compatible devices such as ASUS PCE-AC681. This gives RT-AC87U an amazing combined maximum concurrent data rate of up to 2334Mbit/s.
Maximum coverage, with no dead spotsThe explosive growth in smartphones, tablets, laptops, smart TVs and other Wi-Fi-enabled gadgets means that in a modern household the available wireless bandwidth is often shared between many devices. In standard routers, as more devices are connected the network can become overloaded, leading to instability, lags and slowdowns. RT-AC87U uses four high-performance antennas, four separate spatial data streams, ASUS AiRadar, MU-MIMO and adaptive QoS technology to solve these problems. The 4x4 antennas improve coverage by up to 33% compared to standard 3x3 models, and typically RT-AC87U can effortlessly cover an area up to 465m2, making it ideal for eliminating ‘dead spots’ in large or multi-floor environments.
Supercharged performance with two dual-core processorsAt the heart of RT-AC87U is the latest Quantenna™ system-on-a-chip (SoC), featuring its own powerful dedicated dual-core processor that handles all 802.11ac Wi-Fi-related computations. This frees up RT-AC87U’s 1GHz dual-core CPU to perform other processor-intensive system tasks — such as media streaming — much more efficiently. The result is a superb multitasking capability that can easily handle the simultaneous demands of all connected devices, giving an outstandingly-responsive network and also improving USB storage performance.
In our tests using three wired and two wireless PCs to simulate a busy multi-client network, RT-AC87U delivered up to 50% more total throughput (combined 2.4GHz, 5GHz and NAT performance) compared to a typical router with a single 1.2GHz dual-core processor2. USB file transfer performance over Wi-Fi is also improved dramatically — when transferring files to and from SuperSpeed USB 3.0 devices over 802.11ac Wi-Fi, RT-AC87U can perform up to twice as fast as a router with a single 1.2GHz dual-core processor3.
The best-ever internet experience, for all devicesAiRadar uses universal beamforming, which detects the location of devices and individually focuses the wireless signal towards them for optimum reception. This feature even works with previous-generation Wi-Fi devices. The revolutionary and future-proof MU-MIMO technology means that RT-AC87U will be able to connect to multiple MU-MIMO-compatible clients at each device’s maximum speed simultaneously, unlike standard single-user MIMO where individual devices have to wait for sequential data transmissions. This means that as users add more MU-MIMO-enabled devices, the router’s capacity actually increases, giving all users the best possible internet experience4.
Adaptive QoS is a feature that intelligently and automatically prioritizes and allocates available bandwidth to devices and applications as they need it, ensuring smoothly-streaming HD videos, lag-free online gaming, crystal-clear VoIP calls and uninterrupted web browsing.
Total peace of mind — AiProtection with Trend Micro securityRecognizing the increasing complexity and diversity of home networks, and the difficulty of ensuring effective network-wide security, RT-AC87U introduces the powerful new AiProtection feature, with exclusive Trend Micro™ technology. This employs a three-pronged approach to security — prevention, protection and mitigation — that assures total peace of mind. Its state-of-the-art protection continuously safeguards users and all connected devices from malware, malicious websites and other cyber-threats, while safeguarding user privacy and keeping a constant check on network security status. Alerts are raised whenever an infected device or other potential security problems, such as insecure passwords, are found.
1 See http://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC68 for details.
2 The actual throughput may vary due to ISP speed, Wi-Fi interference, client distance, environment and other factors.
3 The actual transfer speed may vary due to Wi-Fi interference, client distance, storage devices, environment and other factors.
4 Requires MU-MIMO-enabled clients with up to 3x3 spatial streams.
ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router Features and Specifications
Dual-band Wireless-AC2400 Gigabit Router
- Ultra-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi router with a combined dual-band data rate of 2334 Mbps for smooth up to 4K/UHD video playback, ultra-fast file-sharing of large files and low-latency online gaming.
- World’s first 4x4 MU-MIMO antenna design with AiRadar universal beamforming for unrivaled multi-device performance and wireless signal coverage up to 465 m² (around 5,000ft²)1
- Built-in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports for up to 10-times faster data transfers to USB storage devices2, printer sharing, and 3G/4G dongle support.
- ASUSWRT graphical user interface for easy, CD-free 30-second setup and hassle-free advanced network control.
- AiProtection with Trend Micro with triple-strength total network security, plus robust parental controls and privacy protection.
- ASUS AiCloud 2.0 lets you access, sync, share and stream your files anywhere, on any internet-connected device
Fastest Speed. Farthest Coverage. Easy Setup.Enter a new era of wireless performance with faster-than-incredible speeds, the widest-ever coverage and more control and security than you ever thought possible. RT-AC87U delivers the world's fastest speeds of up to 1734 Mbps at 5G Hz — even faster than tri-band 3x3 routers — plus class-leading concurrent 600 Mbps speeds at 2.4 GHz for an amazing total bandwidth of 2334 Mbps! This means RT-AC87U gives you lag-free online gaming, silky-smooth 4K/UHD video streaming, and effortlessly copes with even the most bandwidth-demanding tasks.
With a separate high-gain antenna for each of the four spatial data streams, this power-packed router gives you true 4x4 multi-user MIMO (MU-MIMO) wireless performance that smokes the competition — and it delivers top performance for all your wireless devices, even those using older Wi-Fi standards. As with all ASUS networking products, you get the very best support with the widest range of device compatibility, plus free firmware updates for years to come — so your RT-AC87U will always be at the forefront.
RT-AC87U is not only fast, but looks stunning too. Inspired by the gamer-centric ASUS Republic of Gamers G Series notebooks, RT-AC87U is designed with Stealth Fighter-like curves that exude power and sophistication. It's VESA-mount-compatible too, so you can literally take RT-AC87U to new heights on your wall!
- Network StandardIEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IPv4, IPv6
- Product SegmentAC2400 ultimate AC performance: 600+1734Mbps
- Data Rate802.11a : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
802.11b : 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
802.11g : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
802.11n : up to 450Mbps
802.11n TurboQAM：up to600Mbps
802.11ac: up to 1734Mbps
- AntennaExternal antenna x 4
- Operating Frequency2.4GHz/5GHz
- Encryption64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise , WPA2-Enterprise , WPS support
- Firewall & Access ControlFirewall: SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
Access control: Parental control, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter
- ManagementUPnP, IGMP v1/v2/v3, DNS Proxy, DHCP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Triger, Universal Repeater, System Event Log
- VPN SupportIPSec Pass-Throuth
- WAN Connection TypeInternet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
Dual Link support
WAN Bridge support
Multicast Proxy support
Multicast Rate Setting support
- Utilities．Download master
- support BT, NZB, HTTP, ED2K
- support encryption, DHT, PEX and magnet link
- upload and download bandwidth control
- download scheduling
- Image: JPEG
- Audio: mp3, wma, wav, pcm, mp4, lpcm, ogg
- Video: asf, avi, divx, mpeg, mpg, ts, vob, wmv, mkv, mov
- User definable rules for IP/MAC/Port. Upload and Download bandwidth management.
- ACK/SYN/FIN/RST/ICMP with Highest priority
- 2.4GHz guest network x 3, 5GHz guest network x 3
．Printer Server: multifunctional printer support(Windows nly), LPR protocol support
．File server: Samba and FTP server with account management
．PPTP VPN server
- Ports4 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for LAN, 1 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for WAN
USB 2.0 x 1
USB 3.0 x 1
- ButtonWPS Button, Reset Button, Power Switch, Wireless on/off Button, LED on/off Button
- LED IndicatorPWR x 1
Wi-Fi x 2
LAN x 4
WAN x 1
WPS x 1
- Power SupplyAC Input : 110V~240V(50~60Hz)
DC Output : 19 V with max. 2.37 A current
- OS SupportWindows® 8.1
Windows® Server 2003
Windows® Server 2008
Mac OS X
Mac OS X 10.1
Mac OS X 10.4
Mac OS X 10.5
Mac OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.7
Mac OS X 10.8
Linux Kernel (Support Ubuntu only)
- Dimensions289.5 x 167.6 x 47.5 mm (WxDxH)
- Weight747 g
- Package Content1 x RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400 Dual Band Gigabit Router
1 x RJ-45 cable
1 x Power adapter
1 x QSG
1 x Support CD(user manual and ultility)
- Router Special Features3G/4G data sharing, AiCloud, Printer server, Download Master, AiDisK, Multiple SSIDs, Parental Control
- Operation modeWireless router mode
Access point mode
Media bridge mode
Share this post on ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router Features and Specifications