Intel® Boot Loader Development Kit Now for Embedded Platforms
Overview of Intel® Boot Loader Development KitThe Intel® Boot Loader Development Kit (Intel® BLDK) is a software toolkit that allows creation of customized and optimized initialization firmware solutions for embedded Intel® processor-based platforms. The Intel BLDK enables rapid development of firmware for fixed-function embedded designs—those requiring basic initialization and functionality rather than the full capabilities delivered with a traditional BIOS.
The foundation of the Intel BLDK is Intel’s latest implementation of the UEFI Specification Version 2.3 is the Intel® UEFI Development Kit 2010 (Intel® UDK2010). Consequently, the Intel BLDK is fully compliant with the latest UEFI standards and compatible for use with the Intel® UEFI Development Kit Debugger Tool and UEFI 2.0 Shell. Because Intel BLDK is based on open UEFI standards and the Intel UDK2010 implementation, a significant portion of the source code is openly available to provide flexibility for customizing the firmware initialization of code.
Development Kit Components
- Rich Code Base: Based on the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), the Intel BLDK provides a plethora of features and functionality required in embedded systems.
- Reference Implementations: Example reference board images from Intel provide a baseline from which developers can customize their system firmware images.
- GUI Tools: An integrated development environment facilitates easy navigation, modification, and debug of the underlying code base. Module selection and build tools allow custom image creation without direct code changes.
- Documentation: Comprehensive instructional documents enable self-sufficiency and effective support, no matter what the size of the project.
- No Cost or Royalties: Intel BLDK helps reduce BOM costs.
- Reduced Boot Times: Customers can optimize firmware for reduced boot times and smaller firmware size.
- Rich Feature Set: Includes power management and the ability to boot to a variety of alternate devices.
- Greater Flexibility: Allows developers full control to create and customize firmware initialization.
- Greater Reusability: UEFI standards help create firmware solutions that can be widely reused.
- Rapid Firmware Development: Tools and development environment allow for rapid creation and customizing of reference firmware implementation.
- Ecosystem Support: Members of the Intel® Embedded Alliance provide a wide array of value-added products, solutions, and services based on the Intel BLDK.
The product brief of Intel® Boot Loader Development Kit can be obtained at http://goo.gl/ubXGQ
For more information and to download of the Intel BLDK, please visit www.intel.com/go/bldk. Share this post on Intel® Boot Loader Development Kit Available for Embedded Platforms