Seagate Constellation® ES.2 Hard Drives Review
- Model ST33000651SS | 6-Gb/s SAS | 3 TB | Encryption
- Model ST33000651NS | SATA 6Gb/s | 3 TB | Encryption
- Model ST33000650SS | 6-Gb/s SAS | 3 TB | None
- Model ST33000650NS | SATA 6Gb/s | 3 TB | None
- Capacity — Maximize your data center footprint by storing up to 152TB per square foot
- Efficiency — Save on power and cooling costs
- Enterprise-class reliability — Ensures consistent, scalable and reliable data access
- Data integrity and security — Enterprise-class 6Gb/s SAS ensures data is stored reliably and SED option protects data where it lives*
Key Features and Benefits
- Industry’s highest capacity enterprise drive for sustaining demanding data growth
- Fifth-generation, capacity-optimized nearline drive designed for 24x7 enterprise reliability
- SAS-based, end-to-end data integrity and enhanced error correction for accurate data storage
- Best-in-class enhanced rotational vibration tolerance ensures consistent bulk data performance
- Improved power and cooling efficiencies with low power consumption and enhanced PowerChoice™ technology
- Multi-drive firmware maximized for enterprise system availability
- Robust performance with dual processor and ramp load technologies
- Self-Encrypting Drives with FIPS (140-2) certification are government-approved for the U.S. and Canadian governments.**
**FIPS (140-2) certification is pending.
Energy-Efficient High Capacities
- Constellation ES.2 drives operate on average at fewer than 12W—the lowest 3TB* drive operating power in the industry. Save up to 54% more by implementing Seagate
- PowerChoice™ technology’s on-demand idle power savings feature.
- Maximize data center footprint utilization by supporting up to 114TB per square foot. Reliable Storage Always Available for Your 24x7 World
- 1.2M hours MTBF and 0.73% AFR deliver the highest level of reliability for a 24x7 capacity optimized drive.
- Data is stored accurately with SAS-based advanced error correction capabilities.
- Chassis performance is improved through top-cover attached (TCA) motor design.
- Best-in-class vibration tolerance ensures consistent, reliable data access and
- performance in multi-drive systems.
Built upon leading experience in enterprise storage, the Constellation ES.2 drive maximizes capacity while providing best-in-class features. The Constellation ES.2 drive significantly improves performance with a 6Gb/s interface, the first capacity-optimized drive with 6Gb/s performance in both SAS and SATA interfaces. Improved data security comes from Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) technology based on the AES-256 standard and with FIPS 140-2† solutions that protect data where it lives—on the drive. In addition, the Constellation ES.2 drive carries the Seagate® 5-Year Limited Warranty.
Designed for Your Growing Needs
Ideally suited for use in both server and networked storage bulk-data solutions, the Constellation ES.2 drive offers a host of impressive enterprise features along with a faster, more successful integration experience.
The Constellation ES.2 drive, with its maximum capacity and robust enterprise reliability, provides a sustainable solution for your expanding data storage needs; designed to meet and exceed your expectations, it allows you to come in under power and under budget.
- High-capacity bulk-data center storage
- Mainstream enterprise external storage arrays (SAN, NAS, DAS)
- Enterprise backup and restore — D2D, virtual tape
- Centralized surveillance
- Cloud storage
Technical Specifications of Seagate® Constellation® ES.2 SAS 6Gb/s 3-TB Hard Drive with Secure EncryptionST33000651SS
|Areal density (avg)||444Gb/in2|
|Height (maximum)||26.10mm (1.028 in)|
|Width (maximum)||101.85mm (4.010 in)|
|Length (maximum)||147.00mm (5.787 in)|
|Weight (typical)||700g (1.543 lb)|
|Spin Speed (RPM)||7200 RPM|
|Sustained data transfer rate||155MB/s|
|Random read seek time||8.5ms|
|Random write seek time||9.5ms|
|I/O data transfer rate||600MB/s|
|Unrecoverable read errors||1 in 1015|
|Annual Failure Rate||0.73%|
|12V start max current||1.70A|
|5V start max current||0.60A|
|Average idle power||7.40W|
|Average operating power||11.33W|
|Maximum operating temperature change||20°C per hour|
|Maximum nonoperating temperature change||20°C per hour|
|Operating Shock (max)||70/40 Gs for 2ms|
|Nonoperating Shock (max)||300 Gs for 2ms|
|Acoustics (Idle Volume)||2.8 bels|
Data taken from http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/enterprise-hard-drives/constellation-es/constellation-es-2/?intcmp=bac-en-us-home-hero6-constellation-es
Seagate Constellation® ES.2 Hard Drives manual can be obtained at http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/manual/enterprise/Constellation%203_5%20in/100633157d.pdf Share this post on Seagate Constellation® ES.2 Hard Drives Review